Monday, April 13, 2015

Existential Questions I Hadn't Considered: "Is There a Gnawing Ennui Within the Financial Industry?"

From Barron's Focus on Funds:

Is There a Gnawing Ennui Within the Financial Industry?
A recent survey shows low job satisfaction within the financial services industry.

Ben McLannahan reports on the survey, conducted between January and March by Options Group, a New York-based executive search and consulting firm, for the Financial Times ($)....MORE
“Trending very poorly,” said one interviewee, a trader at a European bank in the US with 15 to 20 years’ experience. “In a lot of cases keeping your job is your bonus.”
See also: 
Using's Sartre's Critique of Dialectical Reason for Managerial Decision-Making
Abstract: 
This paper will offer an alternative understanding of managerial decision-making drawing from Sartre’s Critique of Dialectical Reason rather than simply Being and Nothingness....MORE

Oh joy. 
Additionally, Cookin' with Jean-Paul:
October 3 -- Spoke with Camus today about my cookbook. Though he has never actually eaten, he gave me much encouragement. I rushed home immediately to begin work. How excited I am! I have begun my formula for a Denver omelet.

October 4 -- Still working on the omelet. There have been stumbling blocks. I keep creating omelets one after another, like soldiers marching into the sea, but each one seems empty, hollow, like stone. I want to create an omelet that expresses the meaninglessness of existence, and instead they taste like cheese. I look at them on the plate, but they do not look back. Tried eating them with the lights off. It did not help. Malraux suggested paprika.

October 6 -- I have realized that the traditional omelet form (eggs and cheese) is bourgeois. Today I tried making one out of cigarette, some coffee, and four tiny stones. I fed it to Malraux, who puked....MORE
And the Grand père Jeté:
Le Blog de Jean-Paul Sartre